"Tom Mes's book is a fascinating and passionately argued look at the work of one of contemporary cinema's most important artists. An essential purchase for anyone wanting to know where cinema is heading in the 21st century"
- Pete Tombs
Author of Mondo Macabro
Now in its second printing, Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike by Tom Mes is garnering praise all over the world:
"A passionately argued, jargon-free overview of all of Miike's work [...] Highly recommended"
- Film Comment (USA)
"A thorough, passionate and expert analysis. ***** (Five stars)"
- Empire (UK)
"An impeccably researched and exhaustively thorough look at one of the single most vital forces in international cinema right now."
- Ain't It Cool News (USA)
"The essential text on Miike so far"
- Ikonen (Germany)
"An extensively researched, cinematically literate, highly welcome addition to the slim shelf of books on contemporary Japanese films."
- Cinemaya (India)
- Les Inrockuptibles (France)
"Tom Mes of Midnight Eye has done more than just written a book about Miike, he's created the very Bible of Miike's life. 5 out of 5"
- KFCCinema.com (Canada/USA)
"A book that dispenses once and for all with the notion that the Japanese director is sufficiently defined with the words hype or fad."
- Schokkend Nieuws (Holland)
"This is an amazing book that all Takashi Miike fans and readers interested in Asian cinema should get now!"
- Gorezone.net (USA)
"Essential reading for those already interested in Miike and those who wish to learn more about him."
- Mad Movies (France)
"an in-depth study on Miike: the filmmaker and cultural figure"
- Sundance Channel (USA)
"Agitator sets an amazingly high standard for future Takashi Miike critics and scholars."
- The Alien Online (UK)
"**** (Four stars)"
- Hotdog (UK)
"Un must have."
- Pur Ciné (France)
- The New York Post (USA)
"The first book to be published about Japan's bad-boy helmer is a delight."
- Total Film (UK)
"If you're interested in Miike, Agitator is an indispensable guide"
- Blackstar Review (USA)
"Mes' work commands respect."
- De Filmkrant (Holland)
"A truly exhaustive guide"
- Jonathan Clements (Author of The Anime Encyclopedia and The Dorama Encyclopedia)
- Artistswithoutborders.org (USA)
[ Read more reviews ]
He has been praised and reviled, hyped and ignored, lauded and censored. But rarely have the films of Takashi Miike been properly studied. Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike finally fills that gap by being the world's first study devoted entirely to the work of this director. Written by Midnight Eye's very own Tom Mes, with full cooperation from Takashi Miike himself, it details the entire body of work of this highly prolific filmmaker, whose films are provocative but also remarkably consistent.
At 408 pages, including 8 pages in full colour, Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike is an exhaustive, richly detailed and impeccably researched look at the work of one of the world's most talked-about filmmakers. It includes:
- In-depth analyses of every Miike film ever made, including theatrical, video and TV productions
- Takashi Miike's own diary of the making of the controversial Ichi the Killer
- A career-spanning interview
- A look at Miike's work as actor and producer
- A complete filmography, with cast and crew details and release info
- Detailed information on DVD availability
- Foreword by Makoto Shinozaki
- Afterword by Shinya Tsukamoto
- Over 150 stills and illustrations, including photos from Takashi Miike's private collection, and brand new photographs of the director taken exclusively for this book.
- And more...
Published by FAB Press, the book is available as paperback and as a very exclusive limited hardback edition of 500 copies.
Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike is available now at book stores everywhere!
Intro | News | Book Contents | Samples | Interview with Tom Mes